As the natural forest protection project is put in practice, the effect of the project is directly affected by the survival rate of the forest. Therefore, the survival rate must be increased to ensure the project.
There are many factors that affect the survival of the forest. We mainly discuss the effect that the quality of nursery stocks has to the survival rate. The quality of nursery stocks is the key factor that affects the survival rate of the forest. If the quality of the planting stocks is poor, the survival rate will not be ensured. Therefore, the planting stock quality must be guaranteed to ensure the survival rate. And to ensure the planting stock quality, the planting stocks tending must be strengthened.
1. Taking care of the grown stocks before they are transplanted out of the nursery. When the planting stocks are lifted out of the nursery, they should be planted on the lee side and shady place. The planting stocks should be selected and classified immediately. The stocks must not be lifted when there is strong wind and sunlight. Choose the planting stock that has good trunk shape, full terminal bud, proper color and well-grown roots. Classify the planting stocks strictly in term of the rating standard. Bundle the planting stocks at the required quantity. Plant the stocks temporarily or put them into the planting stock vault to keep the vigor of the planting stocks. If the planting stocks are lifted in autumn, some defending measures should be taken to guard against cold and mice.
2. Taking care of the planting stocks when they are transported. The planting stocks must be transported with covered vehicles. The planting stocks should be packed before they are loaded. After loading, water the planting stocks thoroughly and cover them to prevent them from being air-dried or dehydrated. If the transporting distance is long, water the planting stocks every 2-3 hours. When the planting stocks are transported to the foresting operation area, they must be unloaded and temporarily planted immediately in the selected temporary planting site.
3. Taking care of the planting stocks during the temporary planting period. The planting stocks should be temporarily planted in a place where is lee and shady, and have nice soil and water source. The temporary planting ditch should be about 25cm deep. Set the stock bundles one by one in single lines. Earth up each line when it is set. Earth up the roots tightly to guard the planting stock vigor against the air. When the temporary planting is finished, water the planting stocks thoroughly and cover them. The planting stocks should be watered thoroughly twice everyday. When some planting stocks are taken by the planting staff, the temporary planting field should immediately be tidied, so that the earth will not get loose and let in the air to affect the vigor of the planting stocks.
4. Taking care of the planting stocks when they are planted. The planting staff must have the stock bucket and put the planting stocks in it. It is prohibited to take the planting stocks in great bundles. There should be one-third of water in the bucket. The roots of the planting stock must be dipped in water. If the planting stock has been treated with water absorbent, there should be no water in the bucket. The planting stocks should be planted one at a time. Unhealthy planting stocks such as ill ones, dead ones and the ones that are mechanically injured should be removed. The planting stocks cannot be scattered in a big area and planted later like seeds. They will be air-dried and dehydrated this way. And their survival will be affected.
5. The effect. The survival rate of the forestation will be 10%-30% higher as the planting stocks is taken good care of, the quality is guaranteed, and the planting stocks will not die easily. The effect of forestation is ensured. Therefore, the planting stocks must be carefully maintained to ensure their quality.